Monday, September 14, 2009

Wrestling with God

I prepared for my Religion 101 course by reading through some of Genesis today, and I found myself perplexed with Genesis 32--Jacob wrestles with God. As I read through the passage I sought out some supplemental texts to better understand what this engagement was all about. I found this bulleted summary-
-Jacob brings his cares and fears before God in prayer
-Jacob stirs up himself to take hold on God but an angel takes hold on him
-He "wrestled" with prayers and tears as his weapons-spiritual wrestling by vigorous faith and holy desire
-The angel, or discouragement in a sense didn't shake Jacob's faith OR silence his prayer
-God was the One Jacob wrestled with as no man is able to disjoint someone's thigh with a touch
-Jacob, even with a dislocated joint, struggled to the end perhaps signifying a divine touch from God which wounded and healed simultaneously
So I suppose it was very much a symbolic struggle, a struggle to regain favor in the Lord's sight, but also a literal duel as God crippled Jacob, establishing a powerful, revered tradition for his tribe. But what's amazing is how the Word can seem so out of touch and archaic, and then hit you over the head, feeling very very real. Maybe, it just caused me to be more aware of my "struggle" with God, or maybe, our awesome God has a very intentional plan. Maybe, things seem to fall into place because I want it to so I'll have something to write about--I hope not. Whatever it is, I cannot deny the way God opened my eyes tonight. I was just talking with a friend and he started telling me some about things he's been holding on to. Things that haunt him today. Things that "make him feel like scum" and force him to carry a load of guilt, bitterness, and skepticism. Why do bad things happen to good people? How am I supposed to answer that? I ask God to give me words to say, but all I come up with is frankly, religious crap. And I thought of Job saying to his best friends after everything was taken from him, "I have heard many things like these; miserable comforters are you all! Will your long-winded speeches never end?" Well I didn't want to be Zophar or Eliphaz so I sat with a hand on his shoulder, and we were silent. He went on to bed, and I told him I was going to stay and pray for him. And I found myself sitting, looking out over this awesome place, feeling a lot like Jacob. I prayed and I asked for wisdom and guidance. I asked that God would bring healing, comfort, and peace to my friend. That instead of blaming an unjust god for his pain, he would realize that God is. God is--hope, peace, mercy, grace, freedom, comfort, future, new, and just. Why couldn't God send an angel or even Himself to come and wrestle with me? I left discouraged and lost, not having any wise words or solutions, feeling vulnerable and depleted. Now I sit here thinking, it's not a big deal. You're putting things on yourself you shouldn't. You're self-righteous and you're pride is disgusting. But it is a big deal. God is real and He is present, and He sends his angel of discouragement. And I am confident that He is wrestling with me. He is wounding me now, but His covenant promises that He will heal. With patience and trust, "He will respond and He will heal all." I

No comments:

Post a Comment