In only two weeks of my Philosphy of Logic class, I've begun to better understand and execute the power of argument. Additionally, I've become close with some very sharp individuals. We've come together posing the question, "How does the intellectual mind and the process of argument play a role in our walk with Christ? Should it? How can it?"
I watched this video--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtXhSMEzQSs&feature=related
Now, my initial reaction was laughter and some "get 'em" cheers. However, upon closer examination I started to think about this video as a metaphor for a much more serious problem in the Christian world. When do we cross the line from declaring the truth to condemning the lost? How uninformed and inappropriate are we in terms of discussion and debate? How can we speak the truth and then turn to the proverbial camera and say "got 'em"? I do not want to fall prey to a ministry of argument. It is a tool--a powerful one at that. But it is not a ministry. Paul writes, "Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. (2 Tim. 2:23-24)" The call is not to use trickery or sophism into proving others wrong nor is it an arrogant declaration of Christ. It is this argumentative, chip on our shoulder, intellectually superior, got all the answers attitude that is both missing the heart of the Gospel and falsely representing the Kingdom of God. I find myself falling into these traps all the time. And I will offer that there are appropriate ways of inquiry, stirring up conceptions, Socratic approach, and being the gadfly for our days (as Christ was the ultimate incessant gadfly, overturning the norms and tradition of Hebrew law).
For instance, http://apologia.org/html/apol_report.html
But in the end, academe and intellectualism only go so far. Words can only lead to more words. Argument leads to more argument. To truly take on the power of Christ and His spirit, we must put love above all. Because through His love, we change lives. The words we speak will be twisted, misconstrued, and abused; but we put on the love of Christ so that others may see and praise our Father in Heaven.
Friday, September 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment